Building Block 1: Activate and View NYC Scholarship Account
Every student in the Save for College Program automatically receives an NYC Scholarship Account with an initial $100 from NYC Kids RISE, unless their family chooses not to participate and opts out. You can receive more money for your child’s NYC Scholarship Account by taking additional steps. The first step is to activate and view the account. Complete this step to earn your first $25 reward:
When Can I Activate My Child’s NYC Scholarship Account?
- All first grade and second grade families in the Save for College Program can now activate and view their children’s NYC Scholarship Accounts.
- Parents and guardians of kindergarten students, and other eligible students who are new to the Save for College Program during the 2023-2024 school year, will be able to activate their children’s accounts in January 2024.
- Learn if your child is eligible to participate in the Save for College Program here.
How Do I Activate My Child’s Account?
- This account is owned and managed by NYC Kids RISE, and the money in this account is for your child’s college and career training.
- The money is invested in a NY 529 Direct Plan, which is a type of investment account specifically created for college and career savings. This money can be used for a variety of qualified higher education expenses.
- Only NYC Kids RISE can allocate funds into NYC Scholarship Accounts. Community members (including local organizations and businesses) can contribute to NYC Scholarship Accounts through Community Scholarships.
- NYC Kids RISE will put additional rewards toward this account as you complete each Building Block.
After you activate your child’s NYC Scholarship Account, take the next step in your Save for College Program journey to earn another $25 reward: