Dear Parents and Families in the Save for College Community,
Thank you again to everyone who joined us at the second Astoria Houses Community Scholarship Planning Meeting last week! These biweekly meetings are focused on bringing the community together around two community-wide efforts to support the rising first, second, and third graders with NYC Scholarship Accounts in Astoria Houses:
- Raising $1,000 for each child with an NYC Scholarship Account – Community Scholarship Campaign
- Supporting Friends & Neighbors to Complete the Save for College Program Building Blocks
Here’s a quick recap of the meeting:
- We started off with an icebreaker sharing our favorite local shops and businesses in and around Astoria – Sal’s deli and their “bomb” sandwich was a favorite of many!
- We talked about opening college savings accounts for older children, and how children who are not enrolled in the Save for College Program can benefit from saving for college as well.
Astoria Houses Scholarship Funds – By The Numbers
Raising $1,000 for each child with an NYC Scholarship Account – Community Scholarship Campaign
Since our first planning meeting on August 25, the Tenants Organization had raised $5,600 for their Community Scholarship Campaign, for a total of $109,084 raised to date. This means, at the time of our meeting last week, we only needed to raise $24,916 to reach our goal of $1,000 for every child in Astoria Houses with an NYC Scholarship Account.
Supporting Friends & Neighbors to Complete the Save for College Program Building Blocks
When we last met, NYC Kids RISE had deposited another $270 dollars in Building Block Rewards for families who had taken the next steps in the Save for College Program.That means that $19,815 is still left unclaimed by Astoria Houses families who have not yet completed the Building Blocks. If you or someone you know would like help completing the Building Blocks and earning those rewards, please contact Arli at (718) 593-0338 or call the NYC Kids RISE hotline at (833) 543-7473.
- Keep fundraising for the Community Scholarship Campaign. Share the GoFundMe link and the campaign flyer with a place of business, employer, neighbor, or anyone else who may be interested in donating: https://charity.gofundme.org/o/en/campaign/ahkids. You should have received the flyer under your door courtesy of the Tenants Organization or you can also download the flyer here.
- Complete the Building Blocks and let your neighbors know about the almost $20,000 in scholarship money still left on the table. If you or someone you know would like help completing the Building Blocks and earning those rewards, please contact Arli at (718) 593-0338 or call the NYC Kids RISE hotline at (833) 543-7473.
- Join us at the next Planning Meeting on Tuesday, September 22. Remember to bring a friend! The more we can spread the word about the Save for College Program to our neighbors, the more college money we will be able to secure for the children of Astoria Houses. Mark your calendars, and join us on Zoom here.
Executive Director, NYC Kids RISE
President, Astoria Houses Tenants Organization